Wednesday 24 March 2010

My second published short story ;-)

The full version of "Cempedak" is in the NST today! The link to the story is here.

Scanned by Richard Wong.

The more observant among you might remember the micro version here. As was the case with "The Subversive Sign-Language Switch of 1998", expanding the story entailed changing the narrator. In the first story, it went from male to female. In this, it shifts from first to third person; I have to admit this change was made because newspaper readers aren't used to reading fiction, and I didn't want them to mistake it for one of them first-person articles.

Congrats to Umapagan Ampikaipakan who has revived the NST literary section, and for taking the initiative to print fiction. All the Malay-language papers have done so for years, so it's time the English ones caught up.

6 comments:

A Bookaholic said...

Hi Amir! Congrats! Loved the story (and many more of them) when I read it in KLSharedStories :) Looking forward to reading more!!

Amir Muhammad said...

Thanks!

Mat Cendana said...

This is among the most interesting and important posts that I've read so far this YEAR - I'm thrilled with and fully support anything and everything that help Malaysians read and write in English.

This is an avenue and opportunity which we should have had since years ago. The Star used to have something similar through Clove. I'm going to make sure that I won't forget to buy the print version from next week onwards.

I haven't read your story yet - looking forward to do so after this... Trying to be more disciplined and concentrate on doing work, and not be distracted by the internet. Am not succeeding, as you can well see. Gonna pull off the USB modem...

Insane Inkling said...

Amir, the story is really good.
Things that the wifey thinks in the story are a true reflection of a woman mind.

Mim Jamil said...

kudos amir :D

Anonymous said...

WTH?!!! I read that article. Qutie relax one. Such a coincidence I met you here in cyber world. I'm weak in English. Hope you can help me to improve it. *sigh